Dionysus (/daɪ.əˈnaɪsəs/ IPA, Δηονγσουσ in Olympian) is the Greek god of wine, debauchery and madness. Son of Zeus and the mortal Semele, Dionysus is one of the youngest gods and possibly the least interested in his duties. He prefers to spend his time drinking and attending orgies rather than governing his sector.
Born just 50,000 years ago from Zeus and the mortal Semele, Dionysus gained his sector only after the exile of Hestia. Utterly uninterested in doing anything with it, he left the administration of his sector to the mortal called the Scribe and his Guild.
During the Mortal Uprising, the Scribe convinced him to join the Mortal Alliance against Hermes. His assistance proved instrumental in the defaeat of Hermes at the hands of Noriko Null.
Dionysus returned to his hedonistic lifestyle until the Scribe and the entire Guild were completely wiped out by the Vanguard, leaving him with responsabilities for the first time in his life.
Still not interested in doing any actual work to rule a sector, Dionysus agrees to marry Tyche, allowing her to pursue her political aspirations.
Immortality: Dionysus does not age; he has kept his current apparent age for thousands of years.
Flight: Dionysus can lift his own body telekinetically. It's possible he can't travel faster than light.
Invulnerability: By placing a mental lock on his molecular structure, Dionysus can prevent his body from being harmed.
Godlike strength: Dionysus is as strong as he thinks he is.
Godlike stamina: Dionysys doesn’t need to eat, drink or sleep. He does it because he wants it and can stop when he wants.
Universal translator: Dionysus can understand any language instantly. People around him will have the same ability, but it will fade over time without prolonged contact.
Telepathic intoxication: Dionysus is able to distrupt the brain functions of other beings, including gods. He was able to prevent Hermes from using his speed.
- He's a god despite his mother Semele being a mortal (and the granddaughter of Aphrodite)
- Like in the myth, he's the youngest of the ruling Olympians. His rule was established sometime after the exile of Vesta 2700 years ago
- Untold tale of Vesta: is discussed as a potential member of the Olympus council
- Beyond The Impossible #135, "Calling all gods": is recruited into the Alliance
- Beyond The Impossible #138, "Checkmate": helps Null against Hermes
- Beyond The Impossible #191, "Vengeance": learns about the destruction of the Guild
- Beyond The Impossible #208, "Serpent's snare": meets Viper
- Beyond The Impossible #234, "Vanguard unchained": fights the Vanguard and is defeated by Quantum